I’d meaning to make almond milk for weeks, as I have given up dairy and have been looking for milk alternatives. Since I am allergic to soy milk, I turned to coconut milk, but I need something more sustainable and can be homemade to avoid nasty preservatives often found in mass-produced milk. This was much easier than I thought, and I will be doing this again soon. My next milk adventure will be to make hazelnut milk!
Homemade Almond Milk
Yields 12 oz of delicious almond milk.
- 1 C. almonds
- 4 C. filtered water
- multipurpose linen bag or cheesecloth
- Soak a cup of almonds in water in a covered bowl or container for 8 hours (I did this before I went to sleep to make things easier).
- Drain almonds.
- Throw into blender with the four cups of filtered water.
- Blend until milky.
- Pass through linen bag/cheesecloth to separate almond bits from milk.
- Store in a jar for up to two weeks. Enjoy in coffee, tea, cereal, baked goods, just about anything!
Lots of people toss out the almond pulp, but I’m throwing them in some blueberry muffins to extra nutrients and texture. They can also be used in any other baked goods, oatmeal, dessert, etc.
I hope you all try this. :)