Alex bought me an air conditioner, and instead of paying him back with monies, I am repaying him in meals. I am cooking him two different meals every week for 3 months to save him money/time he would normally spend on food. It’s a great trade! He gets to choose what he wants to eat, but if he doesn’t want to think about it, I get to come up with fun things to make for him. Since going to an acupuncturist, Alex has decided to lessen his gluten intake, so I am trying to find creative ways to substitute wheat. I’ve been avoiding gluten as well, and have quite a few guests/students/friends who are going gluten-free too, so it’s awesome to learn these recipes and experiment in the kitchen.
Last week, I made him baked pork ribs with a sweet and spicy coffee rub with sauteed beet greens, and curry chicken fried rice with spinach. This week, I made him a Sriracha buffalo chicken pizza with yogurt ranch sauce, green bell pepper, almond cheddar, and a little Parmesan on an oat crust.
I’ve made pizza crust with my own oat flour a few times now, and I really fucking love it. I can’t think of a better way to pack a crust with nutrients and turn this junk food into good food. The almond cheese is fat free and packed full of calcium (even more than normal cheese), the chicken breast is a lean protein option for pizza, the green bell pepper adds great color and flavor, and the homemade yogurt ranch is a healthier alternative to buttermilk ranch.
Now, you can certainly buy oat flour from the store, but it tends to be extremely expensive. If you’re
frugal *ahem* resourceful like me, I recommend buying rolled oats in bulk and grind it into a fine flour in your food processor. You get nearly the same results.
Gluten Free Oat Pizza Crust
Makes 1 medium pizza.
- 2 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 package yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine honey, yeast, and water in a bowl and allow to sit for at least five minutes. Make sure the water isn’t too hot or cold or else it will kill the yeast.
- While you’re waiting for your yeast to bubble up, grind rolled oats in your food processor until it’s a fine flour.
- Add salt to the flour and mix.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Mix/knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll out on to a lightly greased pizza pan.
Yogurt Ranch & Sriracha Buffalo Chicken Pizza Ingredients:
- Yogurt ranch ( 1 cup non-fat yogurt + 1 tsp onion powder + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/4 tsp sea salt + 1/2 tsp black pepper + 2 tsp fresh chives)
- 1 chicken breast cooked, shredded, and tossed in Sriracha buffalo sauce
- 1/2 block almond cheddar, grated
- 1/2 green pepper, cubed (or whatever veggies you want!)
- sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- First, start with a layer of yogurt ranch.
- Sprinkle on the almond cheese.
- Add the chicken breast and distribute evenly.
- Add the green pepper.
- Finally, top it with a little bit of Parmesan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
I made extra ranch on the side to dip the pizza in… OM NOM NOM.