I went to my first vegetarian cooking class on Monday, met some awesome people, and made amazing veggie broth and squash soup! I had some extra veggie broth, so I made this amazing vegan soup to practice the new techniques I learned in class.
Spicy Vegan Carrot Ginger Apple Soup
Yields 10 cups, or 5 bowls.
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium apples (of the sweeter variety), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- small knob of ginger, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- ground coriander, to taste
- cinnamon, to taste
- curry powder, to taste
- allspice, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- Sautee garlic, onion, and ginger in a 5-6 quart stockpot until onions are tender.
- Add carrots, apples, broth, and water.
- Allow to boil until carrots are tender.
- If you an immersion blender, blend everything until it’s smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, a regular blender should work just fine.
- Season to taste.
- Enjoy with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, unless you want to serve it vegan!